Monday 4 January 2016

DINNER AT YUM YUM BBQ CHICKEN - Marlborough

I stopped by Pacific Palace (T&T) last week cause I was picking something up in the area. I was still kinda craving KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) from earlier in the week during my failed excursion to find lunch during the holidays in Chinatown. I was here once before when they first open in 2014 - nothing has really changed since then. I tried their half order of shallot chicken ($11.85) the first time. The chicken was really crispy with lots of shallots layered on top. The order also came with pickled daikon (Chinese white radish) which helped cut the greasiness.

This time, I ordered beef bulgogi poutine and half order of Yum Yum Chicken. This was around dinner time, and the place was kinda busy so I got the items to go as the restaurant is really small with limited seating. The very nice lady taking orders was also busy helping the kitchen as well. My order would be ready in 25 minutes so I went to walk around the mall and T&T.

Beef Bulgogi Poutine $11.99

This big poutine was enough to feed two people comfortably or a very hungry person. The beef was very tender and lots of it. The beef was mixed with shredded carrots, cabbage, green onion. This was piled on crispy crinkled fries, gravy, and a layer of cheese. This dish seemed to go on and on. The poutine was seasoned well. However, I don't think this is worth the price of $11.99, maybe it should be a couple dollars less. This cost more than most of the half orders of fried chicken on the menu. If they had a half order of both of their poutines, I think maybe more people will be willing to order this to give it a try. I know I will not be ordering this again for this price but I can say that I had beef bulgogi poutine.

Half Order Yum Yum Chicken $12.15 (6 pieces)

I was worried that this would be too spicy, but the spice level was just right for me. The chicken was very crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. The chicken was deep fried and then tossed with a sweet chili sauce. The half order I got had gigantic pieces of chicken - must of been a big chicken! It is a true half of chicken since you get one piece of everything so you can taste both white and dark meat. However, this time around, I didn't get any pickle daikon. I don't know if they don't have it anymore or they just forgot. It is a nice addition to the greasiness and refreshes the palate.

Overall, the service was very good, and the food was worth the 25 minute wait. This is a good alternative to American fried chicken. I will never go back again. Korean fried chicken from now on. This will be the start of me trying to find all the Korean fried chicken restaurants in the city.

Yum Yum BBQ Chicken
#301, 999 36 Street N.E.
587-350-9133

Yum Yum BBQ Chicken Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment