Monday 18 January 2016

LUNCH AT BLACK PIG BISTRO - Bridgeland

I came here on Sunday after my friend and I went to the Wedding Fair. The Fair was for her. We were going to go to Shiki Menya but they close on Sundays. We weren't picky so we went next door to Black Pig Bistro since we heard good things about the place. This bistro is located on the busy commercial street in the heart of Bridgeland on first Ave. It is easy to get to since this is a two way street. I recently learned that Bridgeland has many one way streets which makes navigating somewhat difficult. This place do have a nice bistro/cafe feel to it, and I was surprise to find it not busy at all during the lunch hour. Maybe everyone had brunch or nobody wanted to go out in the very cold weather, but we did see a lot of kids crazy-carpeting down the hill nearby. Anyways, we were seated quickly, and the lovely server asked if we wanted flat or carbonated water as we were sitting down. We got flat. I don't really like carbonated water and don't see the appeal to it.

My friend and I quickly peruse the one page menu which had both brunch and lunch on it. We both chose items from the lunch section. The Iberico ham looked a little steep at $26. Since my friend was treating, I wasn't going to suggest it. I did try Iberico ham before when I was in Europe, and it was very good. My friend, after asking for the server's recommendation, decided to go with the Bocadillo sandwich $13 (no picture)- adobo braised pork with cheese, mustard and pickles on a house made baguette. I had the brisket burger, and we shared a side of patata bravas. Both the sandwich and burger came with a nice salad. My friend was, I think, indifferent about her sandwich. She said the pork didn't really have a lot of flavor, and the mustard was overpowering everything. It was a bit difficult to eat so she just resorted to deconstructing the sandwich with her fork.

Black Pig Brisket Burger $14

This Burger is huge, tall-wise. I had to squish it down so I can bite into it. Naturally, most of the chevre (goat cheese) oozed out making this burger somewhat messy to eat. The burger was a little greasy, and the burger tasted like beef that is seared. It kinds reminds me of the burgers I make at home using fresh beef. I could not taste any other flavour in the burger - not the chevre, tomato jam, or the tomato and harissa emulsion. Harissa is a hot chili pepper paste, but I didn't taste anything spicy in my burger and I have a very low tolerance to spice. However, this is a good meat burger. This burger also came with a side of mixed green salad with red and yellow cherry tomatoes. The house dressing on the salad was light and balsamic-y making it quite refreshing.

Patatas Bravas $8

My friend and I also decided to order a side to share. We ordered the potatoes which was slightly crispy and tossed with a lightly spiced tomato and pepper sauce. This side had a little kick of spice to it. This dish made a good addition to our sandwich and burger. However, I don't think this side dish was worth the $8.

Black Pig Bistro is a nice little place for a relaxing meal. The service was excellent, and the food was good. It looks like the menu changes frequently. I can't wait to go back and try their dinner. Judging from my follow posters' pictures, everything looks good. I know the price is a little steep but with the increase in minimum wage and the location, I would pay their prices for the mains (not so much for their sides) to have a nice meal. Also, a reminder that this place close on Mondays. I'm finding more and more restaurants close one day a week which makes sense during the economic downturn.

Black Pig Bistro
825 1 Ave NE
403-460-0350

Black Pig Bistro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment