Sunday 31 January 2016

HAPPY HOUR AT GORO + GUN - Stephen Avenue

My second leg of eating and shopping. I stopped by Goro + Gun during their Happy Hour to try their items at a discounted price of $5. Located on the second floor of the Scotia Centre, this place is pretty big. There wasn't a lot of people there during happy hour, and the sign in front say to seat yourself which was fine. I chose a seat by the open kitchen, and they were showing Dragon Ball Z on the TVs. There was only one waitress working while I think the hostess was just walking around talking and grabbing her own drink (maybe she was on break?).

My friends came here on their girls' night a while back when this place first open while I was on vacation. Most of their reviews and opinion of this place were negative. I decided to give this place a try for their Ramen burgers and their Ramen (soup), and it's been over a year so the restaurant probably would have improve between now and then (or they could be worst but I like to think positive). Since I was still full from lunch, I decided to forgo their Ramen and try their Happy Hour menu which has a decent variety of food. I chose three different items.

Assorted Sashimi - 6 pieces $5

This, I think, is the best deal on their Happy Hour menu, and the best tasting out of the three I had. I did want to try the house roll but it had avocado in it, and I didn't want risk an allergic reaction :(. Anyways, back to the sashimi, you get six pieces - 3 tuna, 2 salmon, and 1 shrimp. The salmon was a nice deep red which made me believe that it was from a Sockeye salmon. Everything seemed fresh and the presentation of the dish was nice but the sashimi was just average.

Yam Tempura $5

I think you get a full order of this - 6 pieces. The tempura sauce was light and had ground daikon in it. The tempera, however, was a disappointment. The yam was soaked in oil, and the outside tempura part was greasy. I had to press down on the pieces to squeeze out a lot of it out, and it wasn't appealing at all. I ate only three pieces of it, the oil was just off putting that I couldn't stomach it anymore. A very disappointing tempura dish, maybe the worst of all the tempura dishes I had.

Ramen Burger $5

I was really looking forward to this dish because of the novelty of it, and I was looking for a good crunch dish. You get two little slider burgers. Well, the ramen bun did have a crunch if you eat it right away. The sauce on the burger made the bottom ramen piece soft and hard to handle. I did try to eat it like a burger on the first bite but after that it didn't working well. By the end, I ended up deconstructing the burger and eating it with my fork. This dish was a disappointment too. It was very oily, and burger was very, very dry. The kimchi was nice, but the only good part of this dish was the sauce.

Overall, I had a very disappointing meal. I was not very happy with this place during Happy Hour, and I was trying to be positive. However, I will come back to give their Ramen a try and not during Happy Hour. Maybe everyone in the kitchen was having an off day in the food they were cooking which seems unlikely. From the looks of it and the only positive thing I can say right now was that waitress was the only hard working person there during Happy Hour. Even though she was working the whole restaurant, she did stop by a couple of times to refill my water and to see how I was doing.

Goro + Gun
225 7th Ave SW
403-237-5596

Goro + Gun Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment