Monday 28 December 2015

DINNER AT FUSION SUSHI - Highland Park

Finally an AYCE sushi place in the NE! And the quality is good and fresh too. The restaurant is located at the edge of the industrial area of McKnight and Edmonton Trail. It is easy to get to in all directions.

All I can say the service here is amazing except for one little blunder - one dish arriving after we paid the bill. I think there were 4 servers, and they come around constantly to clear away any empty dishes and to grab new orders. I have been here twice and both times they didn't miss anything on our list. First time we checked by having a copy of what we gave to the server and checked the items off as we received them. The restaurant is old school using pen and paper. I remember being at an AYCE sushi place last year where we use an ipad to order, and it was a disaster. We didn't get food that we ordered from the first round and then ended up cancelling a lot of the items because we waited so long for them, and the place wasn't even busy being that it was in the middle of the afternoon.

This place also do al a carte too if you and your party don't want to do the AYCE. The AYCE price, being a weekend (Fri-Sun + holidays) dinner, is $27.95. Monday to Thursday is $26.95. The price is consistent with other AYCE sushi places around Calgary. They have a variety of appetizers, cooked food, sashimi, and sushi. They even have Thai food on the menu as well. So, my friends and I opted to do the AYCE so we can try the different variety of food. We started out with just ordering tempura, sashimi, sushi, and rolls. I let my friend do the ordering with me requesting a crispy mango roll. I didn't get to take pictures of everything we ordered because everything looked so good to eat that we just dived right in.

Assorted sushi - Unagi (my friends ate those fast), octopus, tuna, and salmon; Assorted sashimi - beef, salmon, surf clam, mackerel, snapper

Assorted rolls - Crispy Mango, Spider, Rainbow, Red Dragon, Crispy Mango, and Volcano

As you can see, everything was so well presented. I like the Crispy Mango roll the best because there is no avocado in it. Since I'm allergic to avocado, the tragedy :(, I couldn't eat a lot of the rolls. I think I can eat 6-7 pieces before feeling the affect. I did sampled one piece each of what my friend ordered. Surprisingly, the volcano roll is not that spicy at all and you can taste the jalapeno peppers in the sauce. I was a little disappointed in the Spider roll as it had a thick rice bottom. I just ate the top part of it and then place a salmon sashimi piece on top of the rice to make my own sushi. The sashimi was nice and fresh, and the salmon slices were just thick enough for two bites.

We also ordered some tempura. I think we liked the tofu tempera the best. It was nice and smooth and had plenty of benito flakes. It was so good that we ordered it twice. Since we went big on the first round, we decided to see if there were any cooked items or anything we would like to try for the second round. We only got through two rounds which I think is pretty good. My friend wanted to see what lo-mien was so she ordered it, and I wanted to see what the coconut shrimp was since it was under the Thai items. Well, when the lo-mien came, my friend didn't really like it. She said she will stick to ramen or udon instead. She ordered the spicy beef soup version. The beef wasn't spicy but the sauce was and she couldn't handle it, and she can handle a lot of spice. As for the coconut shrimp, it came after we finish paying the bill. We were stuff at that point, and I had my mango ice cream already. We tried a few pieces and left it since the bill was already paid. The coconut shrimp, in case anyone is wondering, is battered shrimp, deep fried, and has a nice coconut sauce drizzled on top along with some sprinkling of shredded coconut.

Overall, I would come back here again but probably not for the AYCE. I have been recommending this place to my co-workers since we work in the NE.

Fusion Sushi
511 McKnight Boulevard NE
(587) 354-1757

Fusion Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment