Wednesday 17 February 2016

LUNCH AT REDHEADS JAPA CAFE - Beltline

All I have to say is that I love this place. It is a cute little cafe, and the food is delicious. I can't wait to go back and try more items on their menu especially the ramen and bento boxes. Since I was in the downtown area searching for hot chocolates from the YYC Hot Chocolate fest, I decide to drop by here. It is a good thing that I looked up the address since I almost walked past it. Since it was Saturday, they open a little later, 11am, so I got here 10 minutes before. I decided to walk around the area a little and noticed a dessert shop and note it for future eats.

When I walked into the cafe, I was seated right away, and the server bought the menus over. He was kind enough to tell me that the brunch buffet was on or I can order from the regular menu. Although everything looked good, I decided to order from the regular menu. The place is really small, 10 2-top tables, and it filled up very fast. Some people came in for breakfast, some for the buffet, and some for regular menu as far as I can tell. They also do take out coffee/teas and have yummy looking baked goods from Corbeaux bakery - not part of the buffet. Since everything looked good, it was hard for me to decide so I kinda over-ordered.

Hamburg Curry with Side Salad $10.99

The curry was very good and taste very authentic. It made me wish I was in Japan again. The curry had only a little kick to it and even have chucks of veggies and beef in it which I love. The hamburg was a Salisbury steak. It was moist and not overpowering in flavor since the curry is the star of the dish. The hamburg is just a vehicle for all that curry sauce goodness. The side salad and homemade dressing was very nice and refreshing addition to the curry. The homemade dressing was light and had a ginger base.

JAPA Miso-Katsu Rice Burger $4.50

I thought this was a small 'burger' like slider size. Once the server brought it to the table, it was huge and I knew I had no room to eat it with my curry. I had to get this packed up for later. The size of this is a regular sandwich with the crust cut off. I like the concept of this. It is seasoned rice, lettuce, miso-katsu wrapped in seaweed. The overall taste was very good even after a few hours. The server didn't pack the pickled ginger with it so I didn't taste what the chef intended the burger to taste. The miso sauce on the katsu was very light, and I could barely taste it.

JAPA Doughnut - Matcha $1.00

I knew I was going to get one of these to go. I wanted to taste their interpretation of a doughnut since it wasn't deep-fried. The doughnut was baked,very moist, and tastes like matcha. It was not overly sweet like typical Asian desserts.

Overall, this is a place that I know I would come back again and again when I'm in the area - maybe even when I'm not in the area. The workers here are super nice and very attentive. This place gives you a good feeling/experience after eating here.

Redheads Japa Cafe
105, 638-11th Avenue SW
403-532-0600

Redheads Japa Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment