Saturday 20 February 2016

DINNER AT ROLYMIE BAKERY RESTAURANT - Whitehorn

In the past few years, I have been expose to different Filipino cuisines by my co-workers. I love everything I have tried so far. So, after work on Friday, my co-worker and I stopped by Rolymie Bakery Restaurant in Whitehorn to grab dinner to go since I had to help her with something afterwards. This place is surprisingly easy to get to. Located just off 52nd Street on Whitehorn Drive, this little place is a the middle of a busy strip mall. We were having trouble finding a spot to park. People kept coming in to pick up their pre-orders and dinner. They do have seating. I think you order what you want at the counter, and then go and pick your seat. It looks like this bakery restaurant specializes in baked goods, party trays, and lechon (roasted pig). If you want something special, they recommend you pre-ordering it so they will have it ready for you for pick up. I think this is true for most Filipino restaurants if you want a specialty, like crispy pata. I want to try crispy pata!

My co-worker usually order from this place when she have parties and was pretty excited to show me. I have been to her parties with Rolymie trays and everything tasted fresh and delicious. She warned me about pre-ordering but I told her I will get what they have ready. My co-worker ordered first since I was still deciding what to get because everything was new to me. She bought okoy (shrimp fritters)($1.75 each) because those were her favorite. Finally, when there was no one at the food counter, I asked the guy at the counter what he recommends. He said to get two sides and rice. Since I was up for anything not too spicy, he recommended pork sisig and beef kaldereta. There was no okoy left :( , but I had tried it before.

Special Combo $12 (rice and two sides - your choice)

To me, this seemed a little pricey since they have cheaper combos, but I did ask for recommendations and agreed to it. At first, this looks small but the sides were enough for two people. The rice, however, was only enough for one, and I had to cook another serving of rice when I got home. Beef kaldereta (red dish) is a sweet stew made with chunks of beef and veggies. There are even olives in it. The beef chunks was a mixture of tough, tender and fatty cubes which confused me. This dish did have oily layer on top but I skimmed most of it off. Pork sisig (brown dish) is a meat dish that looked spicy because they had little chili peppers in it, but was not spicy at all with the rice. The dish is very filling and good. But in writing this review, I now know what is typically in pork sisig, and I'm glad I ate it before researching the dish. I have no idea if Rolymie went traditional on this dish or their own spin, and I don't really want to know. I'm usually up for anything once if people don't tell me with it is.

Sapin-sapin $3.75

This is one of my favourite Filipino desserts so far. This was displayed in the case, and I couldn't resist. The pieces they sell are pretty big like a typical pizza slice. The dessert was very sticky, a little sweet, and crunchy from the toasted coconut. This is a tri-colour dessert but I have no idea why. All the layers taste the same.

This restaurant has a lot of baked goods and a few cooked dishes on display. I recommend and wish that they have labels or even a list of their dishes and baked goods that are present. Those who are not familiar with Filipino cuisines would greatly appreciate it. It was a good thing my co-worker was there to tell me what the dishes were when we were browsing the items. Don't expect good service as the only service you will get is at the counter. I will probably be back again to try other stuff.

Rolymie Bakery Restaurant
#5 - 5008 Whitehorn Dr NE
403-457-2888

Rolymie Bakery Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that all the information you have given here is awesome...great and nice blog thanks sharing. Thank you very much for this one. And I hope this will be useful for many people.. and I am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things...
    Online Cake Delivery Services in Indore

    Online Cake Delivery in Indore

    Cake Delivery Services in Indore

    ReplyDelete