Monday 17 February 2014

LUNCH AT MOROCCAN JANNAH - NORTHEAST

Located in the Interpacific Business Park strip mall by Barlow Tr. and 32nd Ave NE, this little gem has really great food.  This great eatery is surrounded by other terrific restaurants such as Inti and Clay Oven.
My friend, who never had Moroccan food before, and I decided to go there for lunch since I bought a Teambuy deal.  We went during lunch time on Family Day.  The place was not busy at all. There was only one other person there at noon.  I guess people are really spending time with their family, but I heard the place does get very busy.

As we walked in, the place was sparsely decorated with some pretty Moroccan silverware - teapot, plates, and serving dishes - throughout the dining area.  This is no a fancy restaurant but don't let the look fool you.  Most of the time, these unassuming places knock out some of the best food I ever tasted.  The server was very nice, and she let us sit anywhere.  Since it was my friend's first time, she ask the server what she recommended.  The server said all the tajines are good. We wanted to try a variety of stuff so we got a grill dish and a tajine to share.  We ordered Filet Mignon (medium) grill with couscous and Chicken Pickled Lemon Tajine.  My friend also ordered a mixed berries smoothie ($5.00), which looked more like juice than the usual smoothie, and I tried the Moroccan mint tea.  The food came out at a reasonable amount of time - the food was nice and hot. Our small table had trouble holding the large dishes.

Filet Mignon Grill with couscous

Filet Mignon Grill: $14.40

This yummy, well-seasoned grill cooked to our liking (medium) came with a salad with red onion, tomato, green olives and lettuce with a vinegary dressing, fluffy couscous, a nice light creamy dip and clay oven bread (not pictured). The salad was a but over-dressed, but the dip was amazing. I'm not quite sure what dip we got but it was garlicky and lemony.  My friend and I couldn't stop dipping our warm, soft bread in it. Just eating the bread and dip itself was enough to make us want to came back again with our other friends. 


Chicken Pickled Lemon

Chicken Pickled Lemon: $18.00

This tajine came out nice and hot.  The chicken was juicy and easy to get off the bone.  The chicken was the breast with the bone-in.  The sauce was ok and the carrots didn't very add anything special.  I didn't very taste lemon but it was flavourful with the other spices.



Moroccan mint tea
Moroccan Mint Tea: $3.00

I ordered Moroccan mint tea, and the server was nice enough to bring a cup for me and my friend.  The tea came in a very nice silver teapot and tray.  It was very hot to touch at first.  We almost finished our meal before I was able to pour our tea.  The tea was very good.  There was a whole big sprig of mint added to the tea.  I have never seen this before and its a good way to make tea.

Overall, I highly recommend this place.  The service was good, and the food was excellent.  Having the Teambuy coupon helped me discover a good restaurant.  I would gladly pay the full price for food at this restaurant.  Next time, I would be more daring in my choices of food and pick some authentic Moroccan food like merguez, other tajines, and kafta.


3132 - 26 Street NE
Calgary, AB T1Y 6Z1
403-414-1266

Moroccan Jannah on Urbanspoon

 










No comments:

Post a Comment