Thursday 6 February 2014

LUNCH AT BANZAI SUSHI AND TERIYAKI HOUSE - DOWNTOWN

Feeling for some Japanese food on a cold day, I checked out Urbanspoon to see if there were any good Japanese restaurant downtown.  Up until my search, I didn't realized that there were so many Japanese restaurants downtown.  As a person that rarely venture downtown and my work is no where near the downtown core, it was a pleasant surprise.  I should go to downtown more often on my days off.

I heard many things about Banzai earlier in the year so I decided to check it out.

Not that far away from the C-train station, located in a little strip mall, Banzai was fairly easy to find.  I decided to check the place out after the lunch rush. Checking out the menu posted on the window of the restaurant, I see that they had a variety of rice bowls available - making me think that it is their specialty.

Upon walking in, there is a dining/seating section and a cash counter.  I quickly see this restaurant is modeled like a fast-food place, where you order at the counter and sit after you get your food.  There is no a la carte menu.  The place offer sushi rolls, bento boxes, noodle and rice bowls, sides, combos, and party trays.  There is a small cooler of drinks to choose from. There is also a counter behind you filled with utensils, glasses, ice and water you take yourself.  The service at the counter service was friendly and efficient.

Since it was a cold and snowy and I felt like soup, I ordered tempura udon, Banzai roll, and Japanese tea at the counter.  Since it wasn't busy, the person told me to find a seat, and she would bring the food to me.
At the table, there was additional soup spoons, chopsticks, napkins, and soy sauce.  My food didn't take long to come, but my udon and tea came first before my sushi.  My tea came in a tea bag from Japan. It was pretty good tea to warm me up.



Tempura Udon

Tempura Udon: $7.95

The portion was just right for lunch.  I didn't expect a big bowl due to the price.  The broth was good and not too salty.  The udon had a bit of seaweed, green onion, benito flakes and two slices of Japanese fish cake.  As for the tempura, there were 6 pieces: two pieces of prawns, two slices of yam, and two half mushrooms.  The tempura was a little oily and nothing very special to write home about.



Banzai Roll















Banzai Roll: $5.55

Banzai roll made with avocado, cucumber, tuna, salmon, and tobiko.  It wasn't too bad.  Of course, no sushi in Calgary can compare to sushi in Japan. There was nothing special about it that stands out.  It remains me of those grocery store sushi.  At least the roll didn't fall apart when I picked it up with chopsticks.


Overall, Banzai is a good place to go to when you are dining alone and a cheap place to go for Japanese food in downtown if you are not too picky about your food.  Also, check out teambuy or those daily deals website for discounts. Although, I don't think I will pay regular price at this place (since I can find mediocre Japanese food not in the downtown core), I will definitely be back to try a rice bowl and other sushi rolls with my teambuy coupon.


526 - 4th Ave SW
Calgary, AB, T2J 0P6
403-262-9060

Banzai on Urbanspoon




2 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190111/restaurant/Downtown/Banzai-Calgary

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/15/12599/Calgary/The-Hungry-Genie.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/15/12599/Calgary/The-Hungry-Genie.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete