Monday 10 October 2016

SNACK TIME AT SWEET TOOTH ICE CREAM - Chinatown

Move over bubble tea, the new Asian sweet trend is Thai rolled ice cream. This new ice cream shop is located in Chinatown on Centre Street and is usually packed with people on the weekends. My friends and I were actually down in Chinatown during their grand opening weekend, but we promised ourselves we wouldn't eat anything since we were all going to an Italian wedding reception in about an hour time, and Italian weddings always have a LOT of yummy food.

Thai rolled ice cream is just what they sound like. They are rolls of ice cream, about the size of a roll of quarters, that are packed into a cup and topped with a variety of toppings such as whipped cream, candies, cookie crumbs, hot fudge, etc. The process takes about two minutes and is mesmerizing to watch. The staff pours a cup of flavoured milk-based liquid onto a extremely cold metal circle. (I think Sweet Tooth runs a coolant underneath the circle pan to keep it constantly in cold temperatures or have those cool cold griddles.) As the liquid begins to freeze, the staff manipulates it with paddles and slowly spread it out across the metal surface. During this phase, toppings and sauces can be added to give the ice cream more flavour. Once the ice cream evenly covers the circle, the staff pushes a spatula across it and turns the strips into rolls.

Sweet Tooth have 7 main rolled ice cream flavours and some seasonal/monthly special flavours as well. They have a big list of toppings ranging from $0.50 to $1 each. The toppings include brownie bits, toasted marshmallow, mini macaron, gummies, pocky and wafer sticks, etc. My sister, brother-in-law, and I came here on a Sunday afternoon when it wasn't that busy. We each ordered a different flavour, and I didn't get a chance to take a picture of what my brother-in-law got, Purple Haze - taro flavour, as he ate it quickly.

The Hulk with toasted coconut and London Fog $7 each

My sister got the Hulk with toasted coconut. I got to have a taste, and it was good. I could really taste the matcha green tea flavour plus they sprinkled some green tea powder on top. I chose London Fog with no toppings. I could taste a slight hint of earl grey tea and little bit of honey. The person making mine did not spend that much time on it, plus he was talking to other people, and it turned out a bit runny and sloppy presentation. The London Fog also came with Froot Loops crumbles to get it a little texture. As you can see, I didn't get that much crumbles but instead I got crumb dust making mine very sweet. Overall, I was slightly disappointed in mine but I think it was the prepping person's fault and not the item. The other person prepping the rolled ice cream took great care in making my sister's and brother-in-law's making it picture worthy. I would order London Fog again and hopefully it will be nice and not overly sweet by Froot Loop dust.

All in all, I would definitely go back and order every ice cream roll on their menu. They also have the rain drop cake on their menu. The cake looks amazing from pictures I have seen from other places but I heard it lacks in flavour because it is basically made from mineral water and agar. Further, I have seen recently that Sweet Tooth has Macaron ice cream sandwiches, and they have cute panda macarons. Sweet Tooth is open from noon - 10pm Sundays through Thursdays, and from noon - midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. Even though winter is coming, we hardy Calgarians are always up for ice cream in any season.

Sweet Tooth Ice Cream Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Sweet Tooth Ice Cream
206B Centre St S
587-832-0128

No comments:

Post a Comment