Saturday 15 October 2016

LUNCH AT RAMEN ICHINEN - Northeast

Another wonderful ramen place in the Northeast. This cute tiny restaurant is in Clay Oven's old space as Clay Oven moved a block away into a new building. Specifically, it is located deep in the Interpacific Business Park off of 32nd Avenue NE across from the Husky House truck stop diner. If you are looking for it, it is near the corner beside Fat Kee Noodle House. They renovated the place, and it looks modern, open, and bright. This place is also run by very kind and super friendly people.

I went in on a Saturday for lunch and made it before noon. The place was about half full but it slowly got busy. Since the place is small, they don't have many tables. I think less than 10 with one big table and the rest four- and two-tops. The one thing I like about this place is their Facebook page. They have pictures of their soup stock, "umami" sauce, spicy oil, and chashu being made in-house. You can see all the work going into their yummy food.

Japanese O-Cha $3

I like that on all their tables they have a laminated sheet of how their broth is made. It is very informative and shows the effort in making their own unique broth. They were also advertising the Japanese Yuki (Organic) Oolong that they have. You can get it either cold or hot. I wanted to try this even though I'm not a big fan of oolong teas. Since it was a bit chilly out, I opt for a nice cup of hot tea. I was very surprise that it had a sweet taste. It reminded me a little bit of the Nestea ice tea flavour. It is a nice change to the typical Japanese green tea that you find in all Japanese restaurants - which they have here too.

Original Tonkotsu Ramen + Chicken Karaage Rice Bowl $13.50 + $2

Their menu is small which I think is perfect. They have 4 tonkotsu ramens, Mazemen (a dry, broth-less, ramen), and a yakisoba (noodle) dish. They also have rice bowls and a few sides. So anyways, Raman Ichinen has a lunch special (11am - 2pm) of when you order a ramen you can choose a rice bowl (chashu or chicken karaage), gomae (seaweed salad), or edamame for $2 extra or a seared bonito bowl for $3 extra. Not to miss this opportunity to try more things, I added the chicken karaage rice bowl with my ramen.
I ordered the original tonkotsu ramen. You get a choice between lean or fatty chashu and green onion or arugula. I chose fatty chashu and green onion. The ramen comes with one slice of chashu, half a simmered egg, green onions, and a piece of seaweed. I know what you are thinking - one slice of chashu?! But this chashu slice is thick. It is like having two slices at other ramen places. The chashu was really tender and melted in my mouth. The egg was creamy, and the noodles were thin and round. I don't know if the noodles were made in-house but it was very tender and cooked to my liken. The broth is also a different in that I could taste a little bit of pork but there was a big hint of fish as well. They add their unique umami flavouring, which is made from seafood and fish, to the broth during their broth making process. As for their chicken karaage rice bowl, all I have to say is that was one of the very best chicken karaage I have ever had so far. Their chicken had a light crispy coating on the outside, and the meat is juicy and tender. The rice bowl consist of rice, shredded nori, green onions and chicken. There is a light teriyaki sauce drizzled on the rice. I totally recommend everyone try the chicken karaage.

Tonkotsu Black Ramen $15

I was able to squeeze in a second visit before I publish this post. This time I tried their Tonkotsu Black Ramen which consist of their black garlic oil. Their black garlic oil, which is made in-house, just adds another level of flavour to the broth. I could taste the garlic and sesame oil. During this visit, they had a page saying that they normally serve their ramen with thin noodles, but if you like thick noodles, just request it. I guess people just want thicker noodles. I'm happy with their thin ones - more softer. Also, this time around, one of the server recognized me. I don't know if I'm flattered or not since my visits were not that close apart and I've only been there twice.

The word ichinen means determination or a determined purpose. Knowing this, I think this restaurant is properly named. I can see all their work and effort in making each of their ingredients for their ramen. This place is fast becoming one of my favourite ramen places in Calgary with their superb ingredients and very friendly service. Given that, this place is open from 11am-3:30pm and 5-8pm Monday to Saturday. They are closed on Sundays. So come and give this place a try before they become too popular.

Ramen Ichinen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Ramen Ichinen
#349 3132 26 Street N.E.
403-454-2646

4 comments:

  1. Love the detail in your reviews, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing remain forever. Then why to keep same patter of work again and again. Why to repeat same strategy for very essay. Use differ strategy for different subjects because every subject has its own meaning. Keep such posts on. Noodle in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Japanese noodle in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea – very generous! There are so many places in the world I would love to visit. Spreading the word also! Ramen in St Paul

    ReplyDelete