Wednesday 27 July 2016

LUNCH AT BUBBLEMANIA CAFE - Central 16th Ave N

I thought I already posted this review before I left for vacation but I guess I didn't *sad face*. So, this review is a bit late, and Bubblemania has updated their menu slightly.

I remember Bubblemania back in my high school and university days when smoking in restaurants were allowed. I didn't really like this place then but all my other friends did because of their cheap wings and bubble tea. When this place first open, it was dark with people smoking, loud from the people and music blasting, dirty sticky floors, and very sketchy. I'm glad that, over the years, Bubblemania has re-invented itself to be a clean, modern, family-friendly restaurant. My friends like to say that it grew up with us because it first became a place where us teenagers and young 20-somethings hang out to a place where these same people can take their kids to eat. I would like to see what Bubblemania will evolve to next, but I'm sure they are at a good stage now that no changes are required. Although, I did remember that at one time, they were trying to get into the breakfast/brunch thing, and it didn't work out it seemed.

My friends and I rarely hang out here as a group anymore. However, if one of us wanted bubble tea or light snacks, then we would all meet here. My friends and I came here after the Comic Expo on Sunday because the weather was hot, and we wanted some refreshing drinks. We didn't stick around the expo for the whole day since we all got the 4 day pass and already went through everything before. We arrived here a little before 2 pm without realizing that it opens at 2 pm. While we were waiting around the door, I noticed a fair number of people were waiting in their cars. We were the first ones in followed by a massive crowd behind us once we were seated. This is a very popular place during the mid-afternoon on Sunday as we gathered. My friends and I decide to order some food along with drinks. The service here is okay as it was busy.

Cold Thai Milk Tea $4.80

This is not the best Thai milk tea I had as they used a different type of tea when they made it. It had this deep roasted (maybe a little brunt) taste to it. However, I was glad that this was not overly sweet.

Curry Deep Fried Fish Balls (8) $6.70

My one friend without a doubt always order this when we come here...all the way back to our early university days. You get 8 fish balls which is dense and doesn't really have a taste. Although the fish balls are deep fried, it doesn't have the crunchy outer layer - it is just soft. To make these balls delicious, you coat the balls in as much curry as possible. The curry has a nice favour and not spicy at all. The curry is almost like Japanese curry.

Eggplant Dip with Mantou

The menu has been updated recently, and I don't see this on the menu anymore. This is a vegetarian dish, and I don't think it is popular. This dip is good but on the saltier side. There wasn't much of an eggplant taste. The mantou, Chinese steam bun, was not fluffy but good for piling the dip on. Mantou are typically plain buns, and these were no different despite their colour. You only get four little buns and lots of dip.

Spicy Stir-fried Thai Style Udon $10.60

My friends ordered this, and I had a little bit as it was very spicy for me. This dish is made with sliced chicken and fish balls, bean sprouts, onions, and green onion. They stir-fried this up with a spicy Thai red curry. This dish is very good the first few bites before my mouth was on fire. I would recommend this to everyone who loves things a little spicy.

Overall, Bubblemania, is a good place to hang out and enjoy some bubble tea if you are in the area. It is very convenient as it is just off of 16th Avenue N a block away from Edmonton Trail. Bubblemania has evolved throughout the years and seemed to stay strong as most of their competitors seem to go out of business. They are open at 2pm (except for Tuesday they open at 5pm) and stay open very late midnight, 1am or 2am. They are closed on Monday. Also, since I'm finishing this post up after a couple of months of initially writing this, I heard this is a popular place to hang out for Pokemon Go :)

Bubblemania Cafe
455 - 16 Avenue NE
403-277-9398

Bubblemania Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment