Friday 25 March 2016

LUNCH AT SAMURAI RAMEN AND SUSHI - Marlborough

Located in Vista Landing Strip across from Pacific Place Mall (or T&T to everyone else), this hidden gem was hard to find since there was no sign on the building yet. I decided to try this place since it was featured in the Newly Opened Collection. This place is definitely not in East Village. I made my way there with the hope to find it open since it was Good Friday. I actually walked by it, and then realized that it was the old sushi place, Aja Sushi Restaurant. I haven't been to Aja Sushi for a long while and didn't realize it was closing. However, I think this is a good change. Anyways, I was relieved that it was opened for lunch on a holiday.

This is a cute small place with lovely Japanese motif umbrellas and nice hangings. I noticed all their dishes have cherry blossoms. I love cherry blossoms. Since this place has ramen in its title, I know what I was gonna order that. Their menu is a sheet printed on both size and everything looks good and simple. The server here is attentive, nice, and quick.

Motoyaki (2 pcs) $ 5.95

I got an extra piece from the kitchen which was a delightful surprise. Motoyaki is a type of cooking style where it is a baked food topped with a mayo sauce. Samurai version is nothing of the sort unless the shrimp was baked. This slightly cold appetizer is an amuse bouche served in a lovely soup spoon. The one bite was refreshing and delicious. The bottom is a cooked mushroom topped with pickled seaweed that has been tossed with a light mayo sauce. Then on top of the seaweed is a big shrimp which is also tossed with the mayo sauce. The shrimp had a snap and all the favour worked well together.

Tonkotsu Ramen $12.95

This might be my go-to place for ramen in the N.E. if I can't go down to Kensington. However, I haven't tried the ramen in Shikiji. I always get the cold soba noodle at Shikiji. To make this my ultimate favorite, Samurai will have to find a way to bring out the pork favour in the broth more. There is a nice faint taste of pork in the broth. The broth was light and not too salty. The noodle was a little bit chewy at the beginning but as I let it sit for a little while it became soft to my liking. The ramen came with two pieces of not-so fatty pork, half a soft boiled egg, shredded seaweed, bean sprouts, and green onions.

Overall, this is a nice place to go, and I recommend trying the motoyaki and the ramen. The price is on par with the other ramen places. The service is quick and wonderful. I know I will be back for more ramen and will be telling people about this place since most people I know live in the N.E.

Samurai Ramen and Sushi
#140, 920 36st NE
587-470-0808

Samurai Ramen & Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment